High-volume applications, such as high-brightness LEDs, laser diodes or high-frequency electronics, drive today’s compound semiconductor industry. Applied technology manufacturers must continuously improve the mass production growth processes of advanced epitaxial crystalline layer stacks in order to increase yield and reduce costs. Thin film metrology applying X-ray methods is an ideal, well-proven tool to help the industry progress the development of layer stacks with tailored optical or electrical properties.
High-resolution X-ray diffraction (XRD) is an established method for control of layered structures in the optoelectronic manufacturing process.
Solid-state lighting – it’s all about layers
Gallium nitride (GaN) and related compounds are key materials in the fast growing high-brightness light emitting diodes (LEDs) and laser diodes (LDs) industry. The manufacturing processes require continuous improvement of the layer quality, wafer uniformity and reproducibility of the epitaxial growth process.
The tight tolerances on the alloy composition, the thickness and the interface quality require process control characterization methods that are reliable, fast and suitable for wafer mapping.
Advantages of PANalytical’s offers
PANalytical is a trusted partner for compound semiconductors. Since the early days, PANalytical has worked in close collaboration with the compound semiconductor MOCVD reactor manufacturers and key customers to turn XRD and XRF into ‘backbone’ metrology tools. By understanding and learning from customers’ analytical problems, PANalytical experts design efficient and automated control solutions for R&D through to volume semiconductor production.
- Easy determination of composition, thickness and crystal quality of GaN based LED and LD wafers
- Fully automated high-resolution XRD screening tools based on versatile X-ray diffraction platform X’Pert³ MRD / X’Pert³ MRD XL
- Established QC solutions with the largest installed base worldwide
- Solutions available from cost-effective to advanced
- Alignment-free PreFIX technology of all optical modules enables easy upgrade of a given solution at any time
- C-to-C wafer loading available
- Best in class service and application support
PANalytical’s XRD instruments have become the system of choice for virtually all state-of-the-art GaN manufacturers and suppliers.
Want to learn more on XRD of compound semiconductors?
To learn more about XRD of semiconductors request P. Kidd’s book; "XRD of gallium nitride and related compounds: strain, composition and layer thickness" by filling in the 'Contact' form.