Sulfur in petroleum products according to ISO 20884 and ASTM 2622
Turnkey solution for accurate analysis of sulfur in petroleum products according to ISO 20884 and ASTM 2622
Crude oil contains typically between 0.5 and 5 % sulfur. Environmental considerations require emissions from petroleum products derived from these crude oils to contain limited levels of sulfur. The sulfur content of both intermediary and end-products (fuels, oils, gasolines) needs to be accurately controlled according to test methods such as ASTM 2622 and ISO20884. These employ wavelength dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (WDXRF) and mathematical matrix corrections procedures.
XRF is an excellent method for determination of sulfur in petroleum products. It produces fast, cost-effective, precise and accurate data. Data can be used for quality control, product development and product performance classification. XRF provides very stable data. Thanks to the integral smart monitor program individual calibrations can be used for months, avoiding time-consuming and costly re-standardization. Automated analysis reduces measurement times down to two minutes and efficient sample preparation methods support analysis rates of more than ten samples per hour. User-friendly software allows routine analysis to be carried out by factory operators.
Expertise program: XRF - Sulfur in petroleum products according to ISO 20884 and ASTM 2622
This Expertise program delivers a complete methodology from sample preparation to quality assurance. It uses the Petro edition of PANalytical's Zetium XRF spectrometer, X-Y sample handler and SuperQ software. Optionally this can be combined with the Oil-Trace package, which uses a unique, straightforward method for correcting for the unknown oxygen and hydrocarbon content of samples. Oil-Trace is strongly recommended for fuels. This methodology program includes:
- Advice on efficient preparation of liquid samples into a P1 or P2 liquid cup assembled with 3.6 μm low-sulfur mylar foil
- Optimized application program, which enables high throughput and accurate results, correcting for interelement effects
- Methodology validation by proficiency testing, a web-based instantaneous and independent application performance test application performance.
- XRF analysis workflow and quality assurance, using quality samples, monitors and an automatic program, enabling easy maintenance of application performance
- XRF system calibration set up for accurate quantitative analysis of one of the ranges of concentrations of sulfur (see below)
|ASTM 2622 (Oils or fuels)|
|S||0 - 100 ppm|
|S||0.03 - 1 %|
|S||1 - 5 %|
|ISO20884 (Diesel fuels)|
|S||0 - 500 ppm|
- System: Zetium, Axios, MagiX (Pro) and PW24xx spectrometers
- Validation: The Performance Testing Program sample is included in the above Calibration Standard sets
- Monitors: Low and high intensity monitors for maintaining the calibration are included in the above Calibration Standard sets
- Standards: Calibration Standard sets: S in Diesel Fuel (9430 500 73131), which includes 9 standards 0-100 ppm, oil sample as drift monitor, Performance Testing Program sample, P-1 or P-2 cups and assembly tool and pre-cut Mylar foils, S in Oil (9430 500 73141), which comprizes the same items as above for oil, other Calibration Standard sets on request
- Application support contract: For continuous prioritized advice and support at application level
- Software: SuperQ module SPC
- Software: Oil-Trace, which corrects for variable sample amount and matrix absorption by variable oxygen contents