Polymers and plastics, additives and fillers
Turnkey solution for accurate elemental analysis of additives and fillers in polymers and plastics
Additives and fillers are routinely added to plastics during manufacture to enhance or suppress specific properties. Some can be hazardous to humans and wildlife. Accurate elemental analysis ensures tight control of these expensive chemicals during polymer production.
X-ray fluorescence (XRF) spectroscopy has become an established analytical method for quantifying the concentrations of additives and fillers. Being a nondestructive technique, XRF delivers important advantages compared to other methods. Sample preparation is straightforward, with no dissolution required. Measurement results are accurate and reproducible. Thanks to the integral smart monitor program,
time-consuming and costly re-standardizations are unnecessary and the resultant data are consistent over long periods, saving time and money.
Automated analysis reduces measurement times to a matter of minutes and efficient sample preparation methods support high throughput. User-friendly software allows routine analysis to be carried out by factory operators.
Expertise program: XRF - polymers and plastics, additives and fillers
This Expertise program delivers a complete methodology from sample preparation to quality assurance for elemental analysis in polyolefins (all kinds of PP and PE, including iPP, HDPE, LDPE, mPE, ULMWPE etc.). It can be applied to all PANalytical XRF systems including Zetium, Axios, Epsilon 5, Epsilon 4, Epsilon 3X and MiniPal 4. This methodology program includes:
- Advice and consultation on efficient preparation of samples including hot pressing
- Optimized application program, which enables high throughput and accurate results, whilst accounting for the influence of sample thickness
- XRF analysis workflow and quality assurance, using quality samples and an automatic monitor program, enabling easy maintenance of application performance
- XRF system calibration setup for accurate quantitative analysis of a range of relevant elements in relevant concentrations (see table below). Lightest elements and lower limits of detection depend on the XRF system employed. Other polymers can be discussed on request.
|F||0 - 270|
|Na||0 - 190|
|Mg||0 - 560|
|Al||0 - 400|
|Si||0 - 800|
|P||0 - 90|
|S||0 - 100|
|Ca||0 - 200|
|Ti||0 - 110|
|Zn||0 - 200|
- System: Any PANalytical XRF spectrometer including Zetium, Axios, MagiX-Pro, PW24xx, Epsilon 5, Epsilon 3X and MiniPal 4
- Standards: ADPOL
- Other: Sample preparation equipment
- Application Support Contract: For continuous prioritized advice and support at application level
- Software: SuperQ module SPC