July 16 - July 20
XRF at the Workplace - Sydney
Interested to improve and optimize the use of your XRF spectrometer?
Malvern Panalytical is organizing the “XRF in the workplace” training course from the 16-20 July 2018. Serving to provide high-quality training for industry and research professionals, this 5-day course will focus on most facets of XRF spectrometry. It will also include several classroom lectures and hands-on practical sessions on XRF and sample preparation techniques. This course is suitable for all users of XRF, regardless of the brand of your instrumentation.
Let’s get you started by learning the basic essentials of XRF!
Who should attend?
Operators of XRF spectrometers, supervisors who wish to get an overview, students who would like to get into XRF related industry work. The course is open to all XRF brands.
What will you learn?
Professional training and certification for laboratory staff. Improves your reasoning and decision making on routine XRF analysis issues. Gain hands-on exposure to using your spectrometer, learn the full operational process from the theory of XRF, to instrument calibration and sample preparation.
- X-ray physics
- XRF spectrometer components overview
- Look inside an XRF instrument
- X-ray statistics
- Radiation safety
- Selection of WDXRF spectrometer conditions (theory and practical)
- EDXRF Introduction
- Selection of EDXRF spectrometer conditions
- XRF application setup (practical)
- Sample preparation – theory and practicals (solids, liquids, powders, fusion etc)
- XRF calibration and theory
- XRF quality Control
- Introduction to ‘standardless analysis’
- XRF troubleshooting and maintenance
Course director: Led by Hari Bhaskar, Applications Specialist with Malvern Panalytical and Dr Ken Turner, founder of “XRF at the workplace” training course and Consultant at Ken Turner Consulting.
Hari Bhaskar has close to 20 years of experience in helping various industries to optimize their XRF instrumentation and software to improve their quality control and process efficiency. These industries span from mining, metals and mineral companies as well as research agencies and service laboratories.
Dr Ken Turner has more than 30 years of working experience with XRF. During his longstanding career with BHP, he has taken on various leadership roles such as being in charge of the XRF laboratories as well as across-site instrument QC, instrument procurement planning and operator training. During this time, he gained a “hands-on” interest in XRF while being exposed in other areas including SEM/EDS, ICP, OES, coal analysis and classical wet chemistry. His research and development interests included development of methods of comprehensive analysis for a wide range of materials spanning mineral exploration, minerals processing and environmental monitoring. Today Ken runs the Ken Turner Consulting which provides specialist services including XRF training, XRF method development and implementation, and quality auditing to the mining and manufacturing industries.
Ken has been a member of the Australian X-ray Analytical Association (AXAA) since 1978 and has served on both State and National committees. He has been on the organising committee for several national AXAA conferences and was conference Chairperson for the 2002 and 2005 conferences. He was National President for 3 terms and was awarded Life Membership in 2007. In 2011 he was awarded the Keith Norrish AXAA Award for Excellence in X-Ray Fluorescence Analysis.
Accommodation: Several hotels and motels are available in the CBD, Fremantle, South Perth etc which are within 30 minutes drive radius to the venue. Ample free parking space is available at the venue.
• Early bird (before 31st January 2018): AUD3,700 excluding GST
• Usual price: AUD 4,200 excluding GST
Which will include the below:
• Certificate of achievement
• Class room lectures and hands-on practical
• Course reading material (soft and hard copy)
• ‘XRF in the workplace’ text book
• Refreshments and lunches (during the course)
• Course dinner
All cheques should be made out to Spectris Australia Pty Ltd and attached with our confirmation email.
*Travel and other costs associated with living in Perth during the course will be borne by the course participant.
• No course refunds will be given for no shows or participant cancellations
• Should you be unable to attend the intended course, you will be able to postpone your attendance to the next available course date
- XRF at the Workplace - Sydney
- University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052
- 16 July 2018, 09:00 - 20 July 2018, 17:00
- UTC+10:00 Australia/Lindeman