April 10 - April 10
Industrial minerals I - maximize your efficiency with XRD. Case studies: bauxites, heavy mineral sands, REE ore
Decreasing ore qualities and increasing ore prices require a better and more frequent control of raw materials and a more efficient use of energy during the processing. Traditionally, quality control in industrial mineral industries has relied on time consuming wet chemistry or on the analysis of the elemental composition. The mineralogy that defines the physical properties is often only monitored infrequently or not at all.
The use of high-speed detectors and modern quantitative phase analysis in combination with statistical methods, such as principal component analysis (PCA) or full pattern Rietveld quantification, has turned X-ray diffraction (XRD) into an important tool for fast and accurate process control.
XRD data and their interpretation do make the difference in the identification of industrial minerals, in describing their distribution in ore bodies and in their beneficiation needs during processing.
During the webinar you will learn how XRD helps to optimize production efficiency in the following case studies:
• Analysis of bauxite (determination of available alumina and reactive silica, total mineral quantification, cluster analysis of bauxites from different deposits
• Production control of heavy mineral sand beneficiation (screening of spirals, monitoring of dry separation, process control of ilmenite smelting)
• Quantification of REE ore.
Date: Thursday, April 10, 2014
Time: 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM EST (4:00 PM - 5:00 PM CET)
Panelist information: Dr. Uwe König, Segment Specialist Mining XRD, PANalytical B.V., the Netherlands.
Dr. Uwe König studied mineralogy and geology at the Martin-Luther-University Halle (Germany), with a master thesis on the quantification of iron ores using X-ray diffraction and the Rietveld method and a PhD thesis on synthesis and characterization of manganeous layered double hydroxides (LDHs).
In 2005 Uwe König joined the company as application- and product specialist. His focus is the development of new XRD applications for the mining, minerals and metals industry.
- Industrial minerals I - maximize your efficiency with XRD. Case studies: bauxites, heavy mineral sands, REE ore
- 10 April 2014, 10:00 - 10 April 2014, 10:45
- UTC-05:00 US/Eastern